Monday, April 26, 2010

dewberries.....

its dewberry season.

last week we walked the massive expanse of Aaron's land and looked for dewberries. And this is a bit dramatic for me (its more tim's style) :) but I felt my soul breathe for the first time in months. and months. I let my hands glide across the tall grass and listened to the grasshoppers. and watched the deer. and got startled by a huge crane taking flight. I breathed. and i got a very brief glimpse of heaven.

We picked the dewberries we found. It has started. We will be picking everyday for two weeks or so. Some have asked me what I do with the berries. Everything. I make cobblers, jam, sauce, you name it. we love them. they are childhood in a bowl.

Today I made a cobbler.

I started with 4 cups of dewberries. Thats not alot.


then I combined the dewberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup instant tapioca, 1 1/3 cups apple juice, and 2 tablespoons butter. and set it aside.

then i stopped to put a couple boys in time out for hitting each other with sticks.

then, I Sifted together 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 4 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cut in 6 tbls. shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Added 2/3 cup milk all at once; stirred just until flour is dampened. Rolled out on a lightly floured surface and cut into 8-10 rounds, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.then I sprinkled the rounds with sugar and ground nutmeg.


then I Poured the blackberries into a greased baking dish (i used an 8x8)then placed the rounds on top of berries.

I Baked at 425° for 30 minutes.

Delicious.

Now, back out to the "brumbles" to pick more!

1 comment:

Tyne said...

Tara, what a lovely post and a great sounding recipe. I am so glad for your honesty in "putting your boys in time out" in the middle of your recipe!