Saturday, May 1, 2010

Today I made Dewberry Jam.


I took abunch of dewberries and smashed them until I got 4 cups of smashed dewberries. (I put half through a strainer so there werent so many seeds)


I added 7 cups of sugar. yep 7. but come on. its jam. its not like you eat it by the spoonful. or at least you shouldnt :)

I put the dewberries and sugar on the stove and cooked on high until it came to a rolling boil.

Then I added one pouch of Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin. Returned it to a rolling boil and let it boil for exactly 1 minute.

I took hot jars out of the dishwasher (i start them on a wash cycle to sterilize and leave them in there until I am ready). I ladled the hot dewberry jam into the jars. Then I put the 2 piece lids on (these had been in a hot water bath and set aside.)

I put all the jars into a canner that was on the stove with boiling water in it (I use a jar holder to keep from being burned). I boiled the jars for 10 minutes, took them out (with the jar holder) and set them on the counter.


24 hours later, DEWBERRY JAM.


yummy!

1 comment:

joy said...

Awwwwhhhh Man, wish I could eat some!! Looks like a lot of fun - especially with those two helpers.