Saturday, February 12, 2011

Owl take it

So in november my husband made me this for my birthday:
owlhouse
He knows me very well. I have a serious fondness for most animals and it reaches a level of awe when it comes to owls. I can only guess its because I had an owl as a kid for a short period of time. My dad is a veterinarian and back in the day (oh my word. cant believe that phrase can describe my childhood) there werent many rehabilitation centers and veterinarians ended up taking in creatures of all kinds. one day an injured barn owl was brought in to the clinic so we became owl nurses.
Ever since that day I was in love. I have been fortunate to spot a few incredible owls in my life. There's a great horned owl that lives in the park near my house. And a couple that live on a friends land we frequent often. Ive seen plenty of Eastern Screech owls around my house and always stop everything to admire them. my sweet gorgeous husband took notice and for my last birthday - i turned 29 :)- ok, maybe not but its how old we FEEL right??- he made me an owl house. he researched how to make it specific to owls and worked hard on it to make it perfect. I was impressed.
I researched specifications on placement of the house and we hung it in december in our back yard. I was hopeful that in the next year or so we would have an owl family take up residence.
It didnt take near that long. It only took about 2 months for an owl to find this home perfect.
IMG_3245
he sits for most of the day in the opening sound asleep. Occasionally when the blue jays are being particularly annoying he'll retreat inside the house.
Its been such a treat to watch him. Hes an eastern screech owl. his main diet is snakes, lizards, ROACHES (heck yeah!), and the sort. finally, a creature we get to take care of that CONTRIBUTES MORE THAN HE TAKES! my dog, contributes some but cant make up for the poundage of hair left on the floor, and my cats.... are well. cats.
IMG_3163
they do whatever they dang well please. and eat tons.

when my husband gave me the owl house he said "happy birthday baby". when I called him a couple days ago to say an owl was in the house he said, "happy valentines day baby." ummmm.... I dont think so.... :)

2 comments:

cphillips1007 said...

Tara.. that owl is so dang cute! Go Tim! How awesome!

joy said...

Oh Suweeeet! He is so cute! What's his name?