Monday, June 6, 2011

DIY

in these economic times DIY has become THE trend. its all about the do-it-yourself and save money.
A while back i saw a great memo board that I like that had tear off paper. It was in one of those super high end magazines and when I saw the price my eye began to twitch. no way was I paying that much! I can make it!
i didnt want to spend a dime but i wanted a great product. heres what i came up with:

this is a piece of scrap wood that i had. I soaked it in a tea bath to get an older vintage look. then I took two old rulers, screwed one to the top and one to the bottom. they hold the paper in place but the bottom one also serves to tear a clean line. I robbed an iron towel rack i had and added the iron bar to the top. the paper roll is from lowes. its the paper in the paint isle. i added string and a sharpie. and i love the results.

15 comments:

joy said...

Love it, love it, love it!!

Rochelle said...

Hi! Just a quick note to say I'm feature this in craftrooms.blogspot.com as a DIY project and I'm linking it here. :) Thanks for the idea. I love it!

Rochelle

Maria said...

This is a fantastic idea. Love it! Maria x

Amanda Hakes said...

OMG! This is AWESOME! I can't wait to steal your idea! :) Thanks for sharing!

Cindy said...

Wow! I love this! I'm going to find a spot in my kitchen to do this. Thank you for the inspiration!

ma said...

This is the best idea. I used this paint paper for a runner for harvest tables at a youth church dinner it was darling and I had left over and thought it would make great art paper for the kids. but didn't know how to hang in office. I can't understand the towel bar on top - where can I get it and does it disconnect to add more paper. thanks for your creativity.

Sawdust and Paperscraps said...

Brilliant. I'm doing this in my workshop.

Linda said...

Great job, I love it.

Jess said...

LOVE this idea! It looks awesome.

gh hasan said...

good

http://makeyourwon.blogspot.com/
http://itunerbd.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What is the size of the paper? Did you cut it to fit? My Lowes has this paper but it is 2 feet long! Please let me know if it comes in smaller width!

Anonymous said...

You can also do this on a smaller scale. Years ago, my aunt had a grocery list made like this, but much smaller.. The paper used was a roll of paper from a calculator with a printout. Just use a roll of calculator or adding machine paper and make the rest the same, just smaller. I had completely forgotten about the one my aunt had.. Thats exactly what I am going to do. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Anonymous said...

You could use a wooden dowel to hang the paper roll on as well...or an old spring loaded curtain rod. Very cute and useful idea.

Tonya Faulkner said...

Paper Roll Can also be Adding Machine Paper Roll For A Smaller Version Of This.

Peggy Alexander said...

I am thinking this is perfect for a writing center in my classroom! Did you use 12 inch rulers on top and bottom?