Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day- Celebrating His Perfect Love.

Let me start with this: I didn't know how to deal with today, Valentine's Day.

Because my dad always treated me and my sisters, and my mom so well on Valentine's Day. He always sent chocolate covered strawberries to my door. So, honestly, since my dad died unexpectedly 3 1/2 months ago, I wasn't sure how today would go.

I woke up broken hearted. I missed my dad so much. And I knew I wouldn't get that phone call today.

A package came to the door yesterday from my mom. When it arrived I smiled because I knew my mom was sending us treats. I set it aside and thought to myself I'd open in later.

I had a few moments alone this morning so I decided to open it.

The first thing I saw was an envelope with my name on it in my mom's handwriting. I thought she'd made me a card.

I opened it and I just froze.

I saw my dad's handwriting. The only thing in the envelope was this note:
He wrote this and two other notes on February 14, 1990. One to each of us girls. Mine read:

   Tara,

Happy Valentine's Day Tara! Are you happy? Do you know you are loved dearly by your Mom and Dad? Do you know we like you and find you to be a pleasant thing in our life- a real joy and blessing! I'm so glad God brought you to us. I'm so glad I got to be your Dad. You are very special Tara. You are very tender and sensitive. We love that about you. Keep a careful watch on yourself- your life. Be true to what you know. We will always love you.
                                      Your friends,
                                                         Mom and Dad

I was 14. The line that stopped me was "I'm so glad I got to be your dad." It's past tense. He wrote this note 23 years before he died. He had no inkling his life would end early.

23 years ago God pressed on my dad's heart to write this note. My dad tucked it securely away where it stayed undiscovered and untouched for 23 years. Two weeks ago my mom uncovered it. Perfect timing for me to receive it on this very tough Valentine's Day.

This is a very touchable, very specific example of God's love. He loves us enough to tuck notes away to minister to our broken hearts. He loves us more than we've ever even known.

Our love here on earth is a shadow of  His perfect love for us.  For our family, Valentine's Day is a celebration of God's love for us.

Tonite we start a tradition in this family. On Valentine's Day we go out and celebrate that God loved us so much he sent His only Son to die for us. The ultimate act of undeserving love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara.

thank you so much for sharing this.

i really see God's hand in everything the last few months in all of this, and this was another reminder to me that He does not forget you, me, or any of us. He cares for you, enough to have planned YEARS ago and prompted your Dad to WRITE this....and cares enough to know that He wanted you to have this today, and have your Mom come across it...

unbelievable.

love you, Tara.
Shay

scootingranny said...

Amazing. So glad of this note that was sent to you today