Friday, March 15, 2013

The Vintage Soul

So I've been thinking,

What makes Mumford & Sons stop me in my tracks, cause me to tear up, and celebrate all in one split second?


















And what makes Kree Harrison, from this years American Idol, make me sit up and listen? Good vocals, definitely. But it goes beyond that.















What makes me disappear into another world when the Avett Brothers start playing? oh and Patty Griffin. I could go on.



I don't think it's just about vocals, or lyrics.

It's about the life they've lived. Now, I don't know any of these people personally, and for all I know, they may have lived an ice cream and waffles life. but I bet not.

When I see Kree, I see pain and life.

It is the same for all my favorite gut wrenching, soul-ripping, artists. They've lost something dear. They've experienced pain.

Maybe it didn't register so fully with me before I felt  life's deepest wound. Before I felt such an indescribable loss, I didn't realize how it affected you after.

I see it in people. I see the gold vain in the rocks that the pressure of sorrow has created. Yes, Ive also seen the bitterness, that those who suffer and get angry, are embracing.

But for those who don't get bitter and angry, and instead let that sorrow and pressure and pain grow them, have a new feature. It's a vain of gold that God creates in the cracks pain causes.

I see Kree's gold.

And I see the gold in my friends who have been fractured. It's in their eyes, their words, their stance, their posture, their hand motions.

I see it.  Thank you God for turning the fractures into ribbons of gold. And thank you God for letting me see it.

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

To hear a few of my favorites: {I dare you to listen- it'll make you close your eyes and feel every word}

Patty Griffin: Up to the Mountain


  Mumford and Sons Timshel Kree Harrison: Stronger

1 comment:

Jenny said...

we have the exact same taste in music and yes girl I know that of which you speak, the pain I have walked through are the hardest best things in my life.